Getty Foundation invites applications for Getty Pre and Postdoctoral Fellowships intended for emerging scholars to complete work on projects related to the Getty Research Institute’s annual research theme in 2021.
Recipients are in residence at the Getty Research Institute or Getty Villa, where they pursue research projects, complete their dissertations, or expand dissertation for publication. Fellows make use of the Getty collections, join in a weekly meeting devoted to the annual theme, and participate in the intellectual life of the Getty.
Worth of Award
- Getty Predoctoral Fellows are in residence for nine months from late-September to late-June and receive a stipend of $30,000.
- Getty Postdoctoral Fellows are in residence for nine months from late-September to late-June and receive a stipend of $30,000.
- Both fellowships also provide a workspace at the Getty Research Institute or the Getty Villa, an apartment in the Getty scholar housing complex, airfare to and from Los Angeles, and makes healthcare options available.
- Applications for Getty Pre- and Postdoctoral fellowships are welcome from scholars of all nationalities.
- Current Getty staff and members of their immediate family are not eligible for Pre- and Postdoctoral fellowships.
- Getty Predoctoral Fellowship applicants must have advanced to candidacy by the application deadline and should expect to complete their dissertations during the fellowship period.
- Successful Predoctoral Fellowship applicants who are awarded their degree after the application deadline but before the fellowship begins, or who receive their doctorate while in residence, automatically become Postdoctoral Fellows.
- To be eligible to apply for the 2021-2022 scholar year, Postdoctoral Fellowship applicants should not have received their degree earlier than 2016.
- Please see important information about the terms of these grants, including healthcare, here.
How to Apply
- Check back later this summer to review the new grant guidelines and to prepare a grant application.
- Applicants are notified of the Getty Research Institute’s decision approximately six months following the deadline.
- Review Process
All fellowships are awarded on a competitive basis. Applications will be evaluated by the Getty Research Institute based on: (1) the overall quality of the application; (2) how the proposed project bears upon the annual research theme; (3) the applicant’s past achievements; and (4) how the project would benefit from the resources at the Getty, including its library and collections.
Please address inquiries to the following:Attn: Pre- and Postdoctoral Fellowships
Phone: (310) 440-7374
E-mail: [email protected]
Deadline: The next deadline to submit an application for a pre- or postdoctoral fellowships at the Getty will be October 1, 2020 (5:00 p.m. PT).