The University of Mauritius is inviting applications for the MPhil/PhD Scholarship for the project titled “A mesoscopic simulator for the optimisation of Light Rail Transit Systems”in 2020.
One of the objectives set for the aforementioned project is to conduct PhD level research for the development of a novel multi-objective nature-inspired model/algorithm for the optimisation of operations (scheduling, cost, emission, Light Rail Vehicle Motion, passenger flows at stations) for light rail transit (LRT) systems. The beneficiary of this scholarship will have to undertake the following core activities during his/her MPhil/PhD
- Carry out profound literature reviews in the field of multi-objective optimisation algorithms, Nature-inspired algorithm, Constrained Optimisation, Computational Intelligence, and light rail transit;
- Conduct experimentations, observations, and surveys;
- Analyse models, datasets and simulation results;
- Develop, test and validate a novel optimisation algorithm/model for LRT operations;
- Publish research papers in internationally peer-reviewed journals during the scholarship;
- Do oral presentations at seminars/workshops/conferences;
- Prepare and submit progress reports, MPhil transfer report and PhD Thesis.
The proposed title for this MPhil/PhD study is “Optimising light rail transit systems using a multiobjective nature-inspired algorithm”.
Worth of Award
The Scholarship covers an annual tuition and registration fees up to a maximum of Rs 75,000 and a monthly stipend: MPhil – Rs 16,500; PhD – Rs 18,300.
Applicants must hold at least an Upper Second-Class Honours Degree in Computer Science/ Information Systems/ Applied Computing/ Software Engineering/ Mathematics/ Physics/ Engineering, or related fields, from a recognised institution.
How to Apply
A brief summary of your understanding of the subject will have to be submitted. The summary should not exceed 2 pages and should contain the following:
- Your understanding of the problem statement for this research;
- Brief literature review on optimisation algorithms applied in transport and light rail transits; and
- References using Harvard Referencing style.
Letter of application together with the brief summary and a detailed Curriculum Vitae (C.V) as well as photocopies of qualifications, birth certificate, marriage certificates (if applicable), testimonials and equivalence of qualifications (where applicable) should reach the Dean of Faculty of Information, Communication and Digital Technologies (FoICDT), (Attention: Dr O.Gukhool), University of Mauritius, Réduit OR by email at [email protected] and copied to [email protected] (Dean, FoICDT), by the deadline.
The envelope should be clearly marked “Application for MPhil/PhD Scholarship (PV: T0104)” on the top right-hand corner. Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
The University of Mauritius reserves the right:
- to call for interview only the most appropriate and best-qualified applicants.
- not to make any appointment as a result of this advertisement.
- to conduct a written/aptitude test as and when required.
The successful award recipient must comply with the general scholarship terms and conditions, including compliance to a bond agreement.
Deadline: Application closes September 26th, 2020, at latest.